top of page

How to file taxes as a Freelancer

Updated: Jun 19, 2023

Filing taxes as a freelancer can be a challenging task, but with the right guidance and understanding of the process, you can confidently navigate the world of self-employment taxation. This article will provide an overview of how to file taxes as a freelancer, discussing different business structures, common deductions, and necessary formalities and paperwork.

How do freelancers file their taxes?

Freelancers are considered self-employed individuals, meaning they do not have an employer withholding taxes from their income. Instead, they are responsible for calculating and paying their taxes throughout the year.

Freelancers typically need to pay both income and self-employment taxes. They file their taxes using Form 1040, which reports their income, deductions, and credits. Additionally, freelancers must complete Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business) and Schedule SE (Self-Employment Tax) to calculate self-employment tax, which covers Social Security and Medicare taxes.

To avoid penalties, freelancers should make estimated tax payments on a quarterly basis using Form 1040-ES (Estimated Tax for Individuals). These payments help cover their tax liability for the year, ensuring they don't face a large tax bill come April.

LLC vs S Corp

When setting up a business as a freelancer, it's essential to choose the right legal structure. The two most common structures for freelancers are Limited Liability Companies (LLCs) and S Corporations (S Corps).

LLCs provide personal liability protection, meaning your personal assets are separate from your business liabilities. Taxes for LLCs are generally more straightforward, as the income passes through to the individual owner, who then reports it on their personal tax return.

On the other hand, S Corps also offers liability protection but requires more formalities and paperwork. In this structure, freelancers can be both owners and employees, allowing them to save on self-employment taxes by receiving a reasonable salary subject to payroll taxes and distributing the remaining profits as dividends, which are not subject to self-employment taxes.

Common deductions

Freelancers can claim various deductions to reduce their taxable income. Some common deductions include:

  • Home office expenses: If you have a dedicated workspace in your home, you may be eligible to deduct a portion of your rent, mortgage interest, utilities, and other home expenses.

  • Business equipment and supplies: Expenses for computers, software, office furniture, and other supplies needed for your freelance work are deductible.

  • Travel expenses: Business-related travel expenses, including transportation, lodging, and meals, are deductible, as long as they are necessary and reasonable.

  • Professional fees: Fees for legal and accounting services, as well as membership dues for professional organizations, are deductible.

  • Advertising and marketing: Costs associated with promoting your business, such as website maintenance, business cards, and online advertising, can be deducted.

Remember to keep detailed records of your expenses to support your deductions in case of an audit.

Formalities and Paperwork

Freelancers must stay organized and maintain accurate records throughout the year. Key paperwork and formalities to keep in mind include:

  • Tracking income: Keep records of all client payments, whether through invoices, receipts, or bank statements.

  • Expense documentation: Retain receipts and other documentation for all business expenses to support deductions.

  • Estimated tax payments: Calculate and pay your estimated taxes on a quarterly basis to avoid penalties.

  • 1099-NEC forms: If you hired contractors and paid them more than $600 in a calendar year, you must issue a Form 1099-NEC and file a copy with the IRS.


In conclusion, filing taxes as a freelancer can be complex, but by understanding the key aspects of the process, you can confidently manage your tax obligations. To further streamline your tax filing experience and ensure you're maximizing your deductions and minimizing liabilities, and consider seeking professional help from a CPA.

Iota Finance is here to support you on your freelance journey. Our team of experts can provide personalized guidance and assistance tailored to your unique situation. Don't let taxes become an obstacle in your path to success – schedule a free consultation with Iota Finance today and let us help you navigate the world of freelance taxation with confidence and ease.


bottom of page